Planting in Progress

By LitiAquaria - 12:27 AM

The most important day finally came. Nerves of steel. No back down. :)

I purchased some 1-2 Grow! Tropica plants from Green Chapter and spent whole night setting up the tank. It took about 5-6 hours to finish all of this work since that was my first time hands-on. Hopefully, next time, if any, it would be faster. :) 

The photos below describes my work process to set up the tank.
5 pots of 1-2 Grow! was bought for this initial stage, including:
2 x Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' - Foreground
1 x Rotala 'Bonsai' - Midground
1x Heteranthera zosterifolia - Background
1 x Riccia fluitans- Moss on Rock
Some of the plants were not in my initial planting scheme, however due to limited stock from GC, I chose alternate plants for replacement.
Tools and planting scheme were ready for the process
Riccia was attached to the rock at first by cotton thread. I did not have any fishing line available so this is the temporary method. I might need to tight it again if the cotton thread give way.
Water was spray on the surface of the soil gently so that the substrate would not mess up and floating once water filled in. 
Soil surface was damp and firm after water spraying
And it is ready for water filling process
Plastic bag / some floating material was introduced to cover the soil and hardscape below. It would help to protect the hardscape/soil from sudden movement when water being introduced. 
Traditional way to introduce water in to the tank :) Water was conditioned by Seachem Prime before being introduced to the tank. 
Water was filling up slowly
And at this level, that was sufficient to start planting. It can be seen there was no mess up on the soil and hardscape at all. :)
Plants was prepared ready for action

Pinsette made planting under water much easier
Planting is easier with shallow water fill in the tank. 
Planting done and water was filled up till the top using similar method mentioned above. Water volume at 2/3 of the tank was recorded so that I might calculate the actual volume of water in the tank after minus hardscape and substrate volume. For my 2ft tank, actual water volume was 51 litters out of 64.8 total volume. It can be seen volume for hardscape and substrate took into account about more than 20% total volume of the tank. Recording the water volume will be useful in the future when dosing fertilizer and medical for fauna in later stage.
Crystal clear water after water fill up
Direct front view
A view from angle
After done, CO2 drop checker was installed. It was blue colour at first since no CO2 was introduced to the tank.
Filter inflow and outflow was set up. Still waiting for my inflow glass pipe to come and in the meantime, EHEIM inflow pipe took the job. :) Canister filter started working. Many tiny bubbles came out at this initial stage.
CO2 was activated and connected to the main system. 
After setting up, everything was working as planned.
Water quite clear at this point of time. 
Front view of the new setup
Angle view of the setup. Definitely need an inflow glass pipe to make it look nicer. :P
After done setup, I started dosing the first batch of fertilizer to the tank, followed instruction of the supplier accordingly. Dosing is as follow for the first day:-

Descriptions Frequency Dosage Per 50L (ml)
Seachem Prime Water Change 200L - 5ml 1.25
Seachem Excel Daily 200L - 5ml 6.25
Seachem Potassium 2-3 times / week 125L - 5ml 2.00
Seachem Iron When needed 200L - 5ml 1.25
Seachem Flourish 1-2 times / week 250L - 5ml 1.00
BacterLife 1 time / week 50L - 5ml 5.00
I dosed more Seachem Excel according to instruction given for initial tank setup. After that, I might follow 5ml per 200L water. 

There are still some background and mid-ground plant to be in place. So, wait for the stock to be available. Tank cycling started. :)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments